The Stefan Zeromski Museum
Opening hours: Closed Mondays and public holidays; open all other days, 10am-3pm.
Stefan Zeromski (1864-1926) was one Poland's foremost writers, shortlisted for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1926. In 1905 Zeromski had a wooden cottage built for him in Naleczow where he could work and relax. The writer was fascinated by the art and culture of the Polish highlanders and therefore the cottage was designed by Jan Koszyc-Witkiewicz in the Zakopane style. Upon zeromski's death in 1926, his widow presented the cottage for museum purposes, and the writer's museum opened two years later.
The interior of the cottage still looks the way it did in 1905-8. Visitors will see the writer's desk and chair; a screen designed by Koszyc-Witkiewicz and decorated with reproductions of zeromski's favourite ancient sculptures and drawings; a chess table with flowers painted by Stanislaw Witkiewicz; family photographs; paintings and portraits by the greatest Polish painters of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, notably by Leon Wyczolkowski, Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz, Tymon Niesiolowski, Stanislaw Noakowski, Eligiusz Niewiadomski and Tadeusz Ulanowski; finally, objects and drawings left by the writer's son, Adam, whose mausoleum, designed by Koszyc-Witkiewicz, was erected in the park.
Muzeum Stefana Żeromskiego
Oddział Muzeum Lubelskiego
ul. Żeromskiego 8
Phone: (+48 81) 501 47 80