Piotr Chuchla is a graphic designer born in 1986. He graduated from of the Department of Media Art of the Warsaw Academy of Fine Arts, and also studied architecture at the Warsaw University of Technology and New Media Art at the Polish-Japanese Institute of Information Technology.
A graphic designer born in 1986. A graduate of the Department of Media Art of the Warsaw Academy of Fine Arts.
Professionally, one project he is involved with is Need For Street, which is active in the field of street art: graffiti, poster, template, mural and the use of the tools of new media, photography and video techniques in the frameworks of these art forms. Since 2010 Piotr Chuchla has participated four times in an annual exhibition organized by NFS. One of his works, a poster promoting the said event, qualified for the 23rd International Poster Biennale.
As a graphic designer, he has collaborated with such cultural institutions and non-governmental organizations as the Bęc Zmiana Foundation, EMMA PAK, the Museum of Modern Art, the National Audiovisual Institute, the Digital Centre Project: Poland, the Architecture Foundation, the Modern Poland Foundation, the New Media Foundation, the Association of Creative Initiatives “ę” and the Aleksander Bruno Gallery.
During his studies at the Academy of Fine Arts, he realized an audiovisual work in the framework of Professor Grzegorz Kowalski’s Workshop of Audiovisual Space that was presented alongside other noteworthy works of the students of this workshop at the exhibition "A Change of the Medium - Kowalski’s Workshop / Zmiana medium. Pracownia Kowalskiego" which was held at BWA in Jelenia Góra. Chuchla was also invited to participate in the cyclic project of the Workshop of Audiovisual Space named Common Area Own Area / Obszar Wspólny Obszar Własny. His work created in the framework of this project was presented as a part of the exhibition of the student section at the Prague Quadriennale in 2011.
In the framework of the same workshop, he realized his undergraduate diploma Armada, which is an audiovisual-scenographic experiment that merges the movements in space of capoeira warriors with graphic animations inspired by Russian constructivism and the projects of Henryk Berlewi.
The artist was distinguished by the Association of Applied Graphic Designers in the Ethics category for the project What Bothers Us in the Copyright Law / Co nas uwiera w prawie autorskim, which was realized for the Digital Centre Project: Poland. This project was made up of postcards addressing the issue of abusing copyrights in various spheres of public life. Each postcard presented a single problem in the form of a short description, a graphic and a proposition to solve or reduce the problem.
For the same institution, Chuchla realized stickers for the office of the Digital Centre, which were awarded at the Design of the Year competition organized by the Association of Applied Graphic Designers.
The design of the stickers was, in a certain sense, a development of the language that was started by the postcards – said the artist in a conversation with Culture.pl.
The stickers were awarded in the Information System category at the Design of the Year competition. For the Digital Centre Chuchla also created a poster telling about Creative Commons licences. He considers the collaboration with this non-governmental organization very inspiring:
The projects made for the Digital Centre gave me a lot in terms of creative development and professional experience.
He adds that the idea of openness which he promoted changed his own approach to the issue of authorship in design.
I think that making your creations available for free, for instance in the form of vector icons or fonts you designed, is a great form of promoting your creations. Openness is more and more common among designers, creators and institutions. Institutions digitize their resources and make these resources available for free, giving them new life.
The artist especially values his poster for the exhibition 21st Century Architecture, the realization of which was commissioned by the Bęc Zmiana Foundation. The poster presented miniature drawings of modern architecture which were shown next to housing projects, machines and building materials. The poster was used as the inside cover of the official publication accompanying the exhibition.
Piotr Chuchla also considers as important his collaboration with the Architecture Foundation, for which he created a logo. With this foundation he realized two projects that he particularly likes: The Music of Architecture – the Architecture of Music / Muzyka Architektury – Architektura Muzyki which deals with spaces linked to sound, and the workshop A Course for the City / Kurs na Miasto, the participants of which devised routes joining interesting places in downtown Warsaw and discussed identity in public space.
Both of these events were addressed to school-aged children, but already in the beginning we agreed that we didn’t want to infantilize the graphic message of these events in any way. That’s why both projects look as if they were prints for festivals for grown-ups. In my opinion this is a big advantage of these projects – says the artist.
A few graphic projects created by Piotr Chuchla were published in Print Control, a yearbook presenting contemporary representatives of Polish graphic design which is issued by the Adam Mickiewicz Institute, and in Los Logos 6 – a cyclic publication presenting the best international achievements from the field of logo design.
Visit the official site of the artist
Author: Katarzyna Zacharska, May 2014
Translated by: Marek Kępa
• Award in the Information System category at the Design of the Year competition organized by the Association of Applied Graphic Designers
• The finale of the Open Design Explorations competition
• Nomination in the Ethics category of the Design of the Year competition organized by the Association of Applied Graphic Designers
• Presentation of works at the event Pecha Kucha Warsaw Night vol. 5
• Second place in the competition iStudent, What Do You Know about Apple? / iStudent, co Ty wiesz o Apple?
• First place in the competition for the design of the official t-shirt of the Free Form music festival, organizer Good Music Poland, Warsaw
• The exhibition POLISH JOB during the Milanese Salone Internationale del Mobile
• The exhibition of Polish posters CARTEL PL during the poster biennale in Bolivia
• The exhibition of the zine Yalla at Kwiaciarnia Grafiki, which was organized in the framework of the workshop We are Printing / Drukujemy
• The individual exhibition of the project Calendaring
, which is a cyclic project
• The group exhibition Tour de Rower ZINE at Kwiaciarnia Grafiki in Warsaw
The group exhibition Tour de Rower Zine at KATO in Katowice
• The exhibition New Year’s Resolutions / Noworoczne postanowienia which was organized in the framework of the competition Design of the Year, BWA
• An individual exhibition of graphic works from the project What Bothers Us in the Copyright Law
, Kwiaciarnia Grafiki in Warsaw, Witryna Obrazu in Wrocław, the Mościce Art Centre in Tarnów
• The exhibition of the 23rd International Poster Biennale, organizer: the Poster Museum in Wilanów
• The exhibition Design of the Year, the Starter Gallery in Warsaw
• The exhibition What's Your Type? at Need For Street 4, Soho Factory, Warsaw
• The exhibition Respect It's a Light! at Need For Street 3, 1500m2, Warsaw
• The group exhibition of the students of professor Grzegorz Kowalski’s Workshop of Audiovisual Space entitled A Change of the Medium. Kowalski’s Workshop, BWA, Jelenia Góra
The student section of the exhibition of the Prague Quadriennale, in the framework of the OWOW project of professor Grzegorz Kowalski’s Workshop of Audiovisual Space, Prague, the Czech Republic 2010
• The exhibition Respect It's a Toy, Need For Street 2, 1500m2, Warsaw
• The exhibition of posters Respect It's a Poster, Need For Street, 5-10-15 in Warsaw
Other professional and artistic achievements
• Publication in the album Print Control 2, Magdalena Heliasz, Warsaw
• Publication of photographs in the calendar POLADARIUM 2014, Seltmann+Sohne, Germany
• Participation in the fashion-artistic project MEMORY FRAMING together with Szymon Rogiński and Małgorzata Kurek, curator: Bartosz Żurowski, Warsaw
• Design of an identity and comprehensive graphic artwork for the social action Free the Texbook / Uwolnij Podręcznik, which was organized by the Digital Centre Project: Poland, Warsaw
• Publication of a project in MAJ, the magazine of the experimental section of the Kraków Photomonth Festival, in the framework of the project MEMORY FRAMING
• Publication in the album Print Control- Best Printed Matter from Poland, Magdalena Heliasz, Warsaw
• Publication in the book Los Logos 6, the Gestalten publishing house, Germany
• Publication of illustrations for an article about UEFA stadiums which appeared in the monthly Architektura MURATOR
• Publication of a poster design in the book Something that is Coming. 21st Century Architecture / Coś, które nadchodzi. Architektura XXI wieku", the Bęc Zmiana Foundation, Warsaw
• Participation in a documentary-research project in Szydłowiec, which was realized in the framework of the collaboration of the Workshop of Audiovisual Space with the Museum of Modern Art, Szydłowiec
• Publication of a poster in an envelope on urban culture called EMMA PAK, Warsaw
2007 – 2012
• Collaboration with EMMA PAK – a cyclic urban culture guide, numerous publications, graphic designs and the design of a new graphic identity