Adam Bałdych – violinist, composer, born in 1986 in Gorzów Wielkopolski, Poland. At the age of 16, Adam started performing internationally (Germany, Poland, Serbia, Hungary, Indonesia, Spain, France, USA).
Violinist and composer.
First called "a child prodigy", evolved to being named one of the most interesting jazz violinists in Europe. Often compared with the greatest: Michał Urbaniak and Henryk Wieniawski. Adam says about his inspirations: Rachmaninoff, Radiohead, Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix.
A very important moment in Adam Bałdych’s career, was the time he spent in New York, where he was working with young jazz scene, played in legendary jazz clubs and got amazing reviews from American magazines. New York was the place where being among many cultures and their sounds, he “found himself” - as he described it. In his music, deriving from many elements, the Slavic melancholy and space, the strength and temperature of the Polish origins is his leitmotiv.
Adam Bałdych recorded his first album for the prestigious label ACT MUSIC in 2012. Album "Imaginary Room" was produced by Siggi Loch and Nils Landgren and recorded with the leading European jazz Artists (Lars Danielsson, Jacob Karlzon, Verneri Pohjola, Morten Lund and Marius Neset). His European debut opened the continent's most important jazz stages, Adam was invited to perform at the biggest jazz festivals in Europe, including the Montreux Jazz Festival and the London Jazz Festival.
Adam is the winner of ECHO Jazz 2013 – the most important German music award bestowed on artists by the German music industry, Grand Prix Jazz Melomani 2011 in the Jazz Hope category and Grand Prix Jazz Melomani 2012 as Artist of the Year. Adam was also nominated for the FRYDERYK Prize in 2013 as an Artist of The Year in Jazz.
A Foreigner's Guide to Polish Jazz
His second album for ACT MUSIC was released on 30th May 2014. "The New Tradition" was recorded together with the great pianist Yaron Herman. Both Artists show on the new album that they are not afraid to draw inspirations from medieval as well as contemporary music. Adam proves also with "The New Tradition", that a very classical duo of piano and violin is still an uncharted territory, brimming with possibilities.
The same label released "Jazz at Berlin: Philharmonic IV – Accordion Night", a recording of Bałdych’s concert at the Berlin Philharmonic. On 28th August 2015, another album was released by ACT Music – "Bridges" by Adam Bałdych & Helge Lien Trio.
"Brothers", released two years later, is a very intimate work, a farewell by the artist to his suddenly deceased brother Grzegorz. It consists of eight songs composed by Bałdych and a cover of "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen. This time Bałdych and Helge Lien Trio were joined by a Norwegian saxophonist Tore Brunborg. The latest Bałdych album released by ACT Music is "Sacrum Profanum". Inspired by sacred music, the album is the first work of the artist recorded for this label as the Adam Bałdych Quartet (Krzysztof Dys - piano, Michał Barański - bass, Dawid Fortuna - drums).
Among the musicians Adam Bałdych has worked with, there are not only extremely appreciated jazz musicians: Jim Beard, Iiro Rantala, John Benitez, Urszula Dudziak, Leszek Możdżer, Grazyna Auguscik & Paulinho Garcia, NDR Big Band, Luluk Purvanto, Rene Van Helsdingen, but also artists famous in pop music (Mika Urbaniak, LUC) and classical music (Royal Strings Quartet, Małgorzata Walewska).
Apart from his concert and solo activity, Bałdych also composes theatre music, collaborating with numerous theatres and directors (Rafał Matusz, Ellen Lande, Robert Czechowski, Przemysław Wiśniewski, Jan Tomaszewicz).
Leszek Możdżer: Polish Jazz Is Doing Well
- 2002 „Hotel Nadmorski” (Up to Date)
- 2003 „Singel” (Squad)
- 2005 „Imagination” (Up to Date)
- 2005 „Transporter” (ΠR2 (Pi-eR-2))
- 2005 „Cisza” (Sumptuastic)
- 2006 „Mutru” (Piotr Żaczek)
- 2006 „Moje Miasto” (Adam Bałdych)
- 2007 „Electric – Eclectic” – Gitana
- 2008 „Tu i Teraz” – Kreszendo
- 2009 „Live in Yavorkee” (Squad)
- 2009 „Damage Control” (Damage Control)
- 2009 „Storyboard” – Adam Bałdych
- 2009 „Balboo” (Piotr Żaczek)
- 2009 „A Tribute to Seifert” (Jarosław Śmietana)
- 2010 „Inna” (Ania Szarmach)
- 2010 „Are you a wizard sir?” (Silberman Quintet)
- 2012 „Imaginary Room” (Adam Baldych & The Baltic Gang (ACT MUSIC))
- 2012 „My history of jazz” (Iiro Rantala (ACT MUSIC))
- 2013 „Deborah” (Joszko Broda)
- 2014 „Anyone with a Heart” (Iiro Rantala)
- 2014 „The New Tradition” (Adam Bałdych & Yaron Herman)
- 2015 „Jazz at Berin Philharmonic IV - Accordion Night” (Peirani, Parisien, Paier, Carstensen, Bałdych)
- 2015 „Bridges” (Adam Bałdych & Helge Lien Trio)
- 2017 „Brothers” (Adam Bałdych & Helge Lien Trio + Tore Brunborg (ACT MUSIC))
- 2019 „Sacrum Profanum” (Adam Bałdych Quartet (ACT MUSIC))
- 2001 – Jazz Juniors (Kraków), 2. place for the band and prize for The Best Instrumentalist.
- 2002 – Klucz do Kariery (Gorzów) on Pomorska Jesień Jazzowa
- 2004 – Rock Festiwal (Gorzów) Prize for Best Instrumentalist
- 2005 – Krokus Jazz Festiwal individual Prize
- 2006 – Jazz nad Odrą Grand Prix
- 2013 – Jazz Forum Jazz Top (Best Violin Player)
- 2013 - Echo Jazz German Music Industry Award – Best Instrumentalist
- 2013 – Fryderyk – nomination
- 2013 – Artist of The Year 2012, Grand Prix Jazz Melomani 2012 (Łódź)
- 2013 – Jazz Top 2013 – Violinist of the Year (Jazz Forum monthly readers’ survey)
- 2014 – Jazz Top 2014 – Violinist of the Year (Jazz Forum monthly readers’ survey)
- 2014 – Motyl Cultural Prize of the President of the City of Gorzów
- 2014 – Fryderyk – nomination in Jazz Album of the Year category
- 2015 – Album of the Year 2014 (New Tradition) – TVP 2 and Melomani Association of Jazz Music Lovers
- 2015 – Grand Prix Jazz Melomani in Album of the Year category (The New Tradition)
- 2016 – Fryderyk – nomination in Jazz Artist of the Year category
- 2016 – Golden Cross of Merit
- 2016 – Medal of Merit to Polish Culture
- 2019 – Medal of the 100th Anniversary of the Restoration of Independence
Update: MG, November 2019.