The museum is housed in a late Gothic building known as the "Dlugosz House", built during the years 1476-1478, reconstructed in the seventeenth century. Since 1819, it has belonged to the monastic order founded by St. Vincent de Paul, the Congregation of the Mission. The museum was founded thanks to the efforts of the professors of the local Theological Seminary, and Fr Jozef Rokoszy, a bibliophile, collector and art lover, helped give the museum its final shape. In 1905, it was originally created as a teaching resource for the art history courses offered at the seminary. In 1937, it opened in its present building.
The museum's collection is made up of fifteenth- and twentieth-century paintings, of which the following works are of particular interest: the group of paintings Saints Martha, Agnieszka and Clara (ca. 1440); Lukasz Cranach Madonna z Dzieciatkiem i sw. Katarzyna (The Madonna and Child with St. Catharine, 1518-1520); Sacra Conversazione (Sacred Conversation, 1492); Augustyn Mirys Portret Jana Tarly (Portrait of Jan Tarla, eighteenth century); Portret Jana Karola Konopackiego (Portrait of Karol Konopacki, 1636); portraits of the Benedictine Sisters of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries; funerary portraits from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries; sacral sculptures from the thirteenth to the nineteenth centuries, of which the most valuable pieces include: Madonna z Gozlic (Madonna of Gozlice, early thirteenth century), St. Anne Samotrzec (ca. 1500), Madonna z Dzieciatkiem (Madonna and Child, fifteenth century); Tomasz Hutter Postacie alegoryczne (Allegoric figures, eighteenth century); Maciej Polejowski Krucyfiks (Crucifix), and eighteenth-century figures of angels, and also architectonic and sculptural elements of altars; ornamental art, including valuable Silesian, Czech and Polish glass of the eighteenth to twentieth centuries; Polish porcelain and faience (Cmielow), as well as English and Delft porcelain from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, objects made of ivory and mother-of-pearl, and gold and bronze objects, including a silver Persian jug from the eighteenth century, cloth (sixteenth to nineteenth centuries), including fifteenth- and sixteenth-century chasubles with figural embroidery; elements from pasy kontuszowe (kontusz belts) of the eighteenth century, and copes and numerous fragments of cloth; a collection of pipes and tobacco boxes (eighteenth- and nineteenth-century); copper and wooden engraving blocks (seventeenth to nineteenth centuries); shields, scapulars and miniature reliquaries; furniture (eighteenth- and nineteenth-century); tiles and bricks (principally Romanesque), as well as archaeological collections. The entire collection is on permanent display.
Muzeum Diecezjalne Sztuki Kościelnej w Sandomierzu
Dom Jana Długosza
ul. Jana Długosza 9
Region: woj. świętokrzyskie
Phone: (+48 15) 833 26 70
Email: [email protected]