Paweł Szpura is a Warsaw-based drummer, strongly connected with the Pardon, To Tu club scene. He is a member of numerous music projects, including Hera, Cufunkt, and Wovoka. Collaborates with, among others, Mikołaj Trzaska and Raphael Rogiński.
Warsaw-based drummer, strongly connected with the Pardon, To Tu club scene.
Although Szpura has not attended any music school, up to now, at the age of 34 he has already played with such masters as: Peter Brotzmann, Pheeroan akLaff, Hamid Drake, Nicole Mitchell, and Maria Raducanu. Moreover, one can dare to say that in 2013 Paweł Szpura was the most sought-after sideman in Poland: the list of his collaborators seems never ending.
Szpura's style is distinctive. Rooted in rock from the sixties and the seventies, his rhythm is a kind of a weave between various, and often very distant, musical heritages: rock, free jazz, Arabic, African, Turkish, Jewish, Romanian... Paweł Szpura’s extraordinary talent allows him not only to compile these traditions – to braid them into a cohesive entity – but at the same time lets him react naturally and astonishingly quickly with other artists.
In 2012, Szpura – along with a group of other young Polish musicians – had the definitive honour of playing in the chamber music orchestra Arche New Music Ensemble on Nicole Mitchell’s album Arc of O (Rouge Art). Together with Cufunkt and Hamid Drake he performed during Kraków Jazz Autumn 2013. The concert was recorded and released as an album entitled Seven Lines. As many musicians at the moment, Szpura also performs on special occasions, such as the 10th Jubilee of the Planete + DOC Film Festival or “UkraPol” concert last year.
- Hera, formed by Wacław Zimpel: clarinet, bass clarinet, tarogato, Paweł Postaremczak: tenor and soprano saxophones, Ksawery Wójciński: double bass, Paweł Szpura: drums
- Cukunft, formed by Raphael Rogiński: electric guitar, Paweł Szamburski: clarinet, Paweł Szpura: perkusja, Michał Górczyński: sax, bass clarinet. They perfomred with Frank London and Maria Raducanu, just to mention a few.
- Wovoka: Mewa Chabiera: vocal, Raphael Rogiński: guitar, Paweł Szpura: drums,
Ola Rzepka: organ.
- Lotto: Mike Majkowski: bass, Łukasz Rychlicki: guitar, Paweł Szpura: drums
- Pursha: Paweł Szpura: drums, Paweł Postaremczak: sax, Traczyk
- Pilokatabaza: Paweł Szpura; drums, Hubert Zemler: drums
- Tribute to John Coltrane, Paweł Szpura & Paweł Postaremczak
- RAW, Przemysław Jankowiak aka Etamski: electronics, and Paweł Szpura: drums
- Tribute to Albert Ayler, Łukasz Rychlicki and Paweł Szpura: drums
- Prophetic Fall, Dominik Strycharski: recorders, Paweł Szpura: drums
- 2013: Wilde Blumen, Cukunft, Lado ABC
- 2013: Seven Lines, recorded live at Manggha during Cracow Jazz Autumn Festival 2012-11-01, Cracow, Poland; Hera with Hamid Drake, Multikulti
- 2013: Gra Różę, Mikołaj Trzaska, Kilogram Records
- 2013: Arc o O: For Free Improvisers, Chamber Orchestra & Electronics, Rogue Art
- 2013: Trees Against the Sky, Wovoka, Lado ABS
- 2011: Where My Complete Beloved Is, Hera, Multikulti Project [Best Releases of 2011 – Eyal Hareuveni's, AllAboutJazz.com]
- 2010: Itstikeyt / Fargangenheit, Cukunft, Lado ABC
- 2010: Hera, Hera, Multikulti Project
- 2009: ... Be Like a Child ..., Trifonidis Free Orchestra, Slowdown Records
Created by: Anna Początek (Jazzarium.pl); revision: Terry Deal; Jazzarium.pl, Warszawa 2014; update: MG, December 2019.