Mikołaj Laskowski is a composer specializing in instrumental chamber and electronic music. He also writes music for theatre and film. Together with fellow composer Jacek Sotomski he performs on cassette players in the band sultan hagavik and is associated with the KOMPOPOLEX studio for composers. He lives in Berlin.
Composer specializing in chamber instrumental and electronic music.
He was born in 1988 in Gdynia. From 2009 to 2014 he studied composition with Grażyna Pstrokońska-Nawratil at the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław. In 2015, he graduated with honours in composition from the Royal Conservatory in The Hague where he was studying with Yannis Kyriakides and Peter Adriaansz.
In 2012 he won third prize at the international competition Generace (Ostrava) for the piece Gezaar Aefir for amplified string quartet. A year later, he received third prize at the Young Composers Meeting 2013 (Apeldoorn), organized by the music ensemble Orkest de Ereprijs in collaboration with the festival Gaudeamus Muziekweek for his composition On for ensemble and two sopranos. In 2015, his composition The Tiger Left Me Unsatisfied for bass clarinet, violin, percussion and Hammond organ earned a recommendation at the 62nd International Rostrum of Composers in Paris in the category of artists under 30 years of age. Laskowski was also granted the prestigious Witold Lutosławski scholarship (2014), as well as multiple scholarships from the President of Wrocław.
Laskowski has participated in many workshops and composition courses led by Christian Wolff, Pierluigi Billon, Jennifer Walshe, Bernhard Lang, Carola Bauckholt Louis Andrissena, and Dmitry Kourlianskiego. He has collaborated with renowned ensembles specializing in contemporary music, including Asko | Schönberg, musikfabrik, Ensemble Adapter, Slaagwerk Den Haag, the Ives Ensemble and the New European Ensemble, as well as Kwartludium, TWOgether Duo and Kwadrofonik.
His music has been performed in Poland, Holland, Germany, Czech Republic and Italy during festivals such as Gaudeamus Muziekweek, Ostrava New Music Days and the Musica Polonica Nova and Musica Electronica Nova.
- Hammond Organ Project, Kwartludium + Dariusz Przybylski, Requiem Records 2015 ( The tiger left me unsatisfied recorded live performance during Musica Polonica Nova festival 2014)
- acc++ca, Rafał Łuc, Paweł Hendrich, Mikołaj Laskowski, DUX 2015 (neath me, itch!)
- SAME PRZEBOJE, sultan hagavik, 2012
- 8 przepięknych melodii, sultan hagavik, Sangoplasmo 2012
- 9 Symphonies, sultan hagavik, Bôłt Records 2012
- TDNWHSINGLE, sultan hagavik, 2013
- Pasja: cała ta chujowa piosenka aktorska EP, sultan hagavik, 2013
- TDNWH, sultan hagavik, Bôłt Records 2014
- Pole Reports from Space, Bôłt Records 2014 (utwór KØSMØPØLEX FORTE)
- Gezaar Aefir (2011) for amplified string quartet
- Aonvrotn (2012) for computer
- AO (2012) for computer
- hsvaoe (2012) for computer
- Sharfnesses (2013) for gamelan and string quartet
- Darling in my Deaf (2013) for clarinet, cello and piano
- Flux in die blomster (2013) for accordion, cello and two tape recorders
- Na (2013) for ensemble and two voices
- neath me, itch! (2013-14) for accordion, dictaphone and feedback
- The tiger left me unsatisfied (2014) for bass clarinet, violin, percussion and Hammond Organ
- Not for you for positive organ (2014)
- Untitled for positive organ (2014)
- Badly Stuffed Hands (2014) for piano and 3 performers
- Oh, Zoroaster...I Love You, Too...But... (2014) for piano and ensemble
- Dzięcielina Pała (2015) for flute, clarinet/bass clarinet, oboe, French horn, trumpet, vibraphone and harp
- Continous Play High Speed Dubbing (2015) for amplified cassette player (in collaboration with Mákó Mári)
- Limbs of Sun (2015) for medieval organ, flute, bass clarinet, trombone, piano, cello gongs
- Ach, pocierać woskową Buddę (2015) 2 samplers, piano and percussion
- Atlantis & **** (2015) for flute, bass clarinet, harp, percussion and electronics
Agnieszka Grzybowska, December 2015, transl. GS, January 2016