Art historian, lecturer at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw 1950-1969. Later associated with the Jagiellonian University, member of the Polish Academy of Sciences since 1990 and curator of the National Museum in Kraków since 1974. Born 1921 and died 2012.
His research interests are focused on the art of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. He holds that it is impossible to speak about contemporary art without a knowledge of the past.
gdynia literary prize 2012
literature on art
Porębski's research interests are focused on the art of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. He holds that it is impossible to speak about contemporary art without a knowledge of the past - thus his original concept of the "boundary of the contemporary," which is constantly moving and enlarging the range of sources. He is also interested in methodological issues and the theory of art.
In 2012 his book Spotkanie z Ablem (Meeting with Abel) won the Gdynia Literary Prize.
Source: www.polska2000.pl, Copyright: Stowarzyszenie Willa Decjusza
- Sztuka naszego czasu. Zbiór szkiców i artykułów krytycznych z lat 1945-1955 / The Art of Our Time: A Collection of Essays and Critical Articles, 1945-1955, Warsaw: Wydawnictwo Sztuka, 1956
- Malowane dzieje / History Painted, Warsaw: PIW, 1961
- Granica współczesności 1909-1925 / The Boundary of the Contemporary, 1909-1925, Wrocław: Ossolineum 1965
- Kubizm. Wprowadzenie do sztuki XX wieku / Cubism: An Introduction to Twentieth-Century Art, Warsaw: PWN, 1966
- Pożegnanie z krytyka / A Farewell to Criticism, Cracow: WL, 1966
- Ikonosfera / Iconosphere, Warsaw: PIW, 1972
- Sztuka a informacja / Art and Information, Cracow: WL, 1986
- Deska. Chcialbym, aby kiedys profesor Mieczyslaw Porebski napisal maly esej o tym biednym przedmiocie / The Board. I wanted Professor Mieczyslaw Porebski to once write a short essay about a poor subject, Warsaw: Murator, 1997
- Polskość jako sytuacja / Polishness as a Situation, Krakow, WL, 2002
- Spotkanie z Ablem, Wydawnictwo Literackie, Kraków, 2012