IDEE Design is a design studio consisting of Paweł Krzywda and Agata Korzeńska, graduates and lecturers of the Academy of Fine Arts (ASP) in Katowice. They designed the logo of the Polish police force.
Design studio established by Paweł Krzywda and Agata Korzeńska.
Graphic design has little in common with art, designers themselves are often confused with artists – in the opinion of Paweł Krzywda – The most important thing is function. We have to adapt to meet needs and fulfil expectations.
The two designers met while studying and have been working together since 2009. However, Idee’s first projects were conceived nine years earlier, when Paweł Krzywda still worked alone.
They work in many fields, but the most important for them is visual identification. They both lecture on this topic at the ASP in Katowice. Paweł Krzywda runs the Visual Identity workshop and classes in the Designing and Publishing Workshop. Agata Korzeńska is an assistant in the Studio of Typography. She also received a scholarship from the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage. In 2009, she accepted an award in the Best Diploma of the Katowice Academy of Fine Arts competition.
Krzywda has collaborated with TVP S.A, Gliwicki Musical Theatre, Nowy Theatre in Zabrze and with Wydawnictwa Szkolne i Pedagogiczne (WSIP – School and Pedagogical Publishers). As a member of the Association of Graphic Designers (STGU), he takes part in their annual exhibitions in Warsaw, Katowice, Lodz, Poznan and Gdynia. In 2009, he was nominated for the KTR Polish Advertising Competition organized by the Association of Marketing Agency. In 2012, Studio Idee won the eighth edition of the the Śląska Rzecz (Silesian Thing) competition. They won with their legal series called Przepisy 2012 / Rules 2012 and Aplikacja Radcowska i Adwokacka, which they designed for Od.Nowa Publishing. Śląska Rzecz is a competition run by Cieszyn Castle, a thriving institution dedicated to promoting design, especially from Silesia. Project Design Silesia is a separate part of the competition. Graphic designs and services that were implemented in Silesia are rewarded. There is no conceptual design or self promotion. 'Design is one of the best ways to improve quality of life in the long term', says the description of the award. This attempt to change the appearance of Silesia through design is an official policy of the province. Through this initiative, the Marshal’s Office rewards projects that help change the economy of the region from heavy industry to different avenues of development.
Studio Idee’s designs have not been distinguished by accident. Social responsibility while designing is an important part of their work both in the studio and in the classroom.
We prioritize the importance of professionalism in the work of our students as opposed to the importance of the designer. We oppose the style of popular design in the 90’s that focused on satisfying the ego of the designer – said Paweł Krzywda to culture.pl.
In June 2013, Studio Idee received two bronze medals in the biggest graphic design competition in Europe: the European Design Awards. The designers were rewarded in the Book Layout category for their publishing series Przepisy 2012. This item had previously been rewarded in the contest Polish Association of Book Publishers for Most Beautiful Book of the Year in the category of textbooks. The second bronze medal was for the A to dobre! series of food products designed for the company Szafran. Prizes are awarded in this competition by a jury composed of representatives from design journals from 15 different European countries.
Agata Korzeńska and Paweł Krzywda also designed the latest logo for the Polish police force. Their design won the competition announced by the Interior Ministry as part of a programme to create a uniform standard of headquarters and police stations throughout the country. The programme will be implemented in the years 2013-2015 by the Police Headquarters and the Interior Ministry
Author: Katarzyna Zacharska, November 2013
Translated by Alexander Sikorski 25.6.2014
- Victory in the competition of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Association of Industrial Designers for the development of visual identification for headquarters and police stations (ongoing project).
- The Most Beautiful Book of the Year 2012 - Award from the Polish Society of Book Publishers in the category of dictionaries, encyclopedias, reference books, and guides for the design of a series of legal publications for Od.Nowa publishing house.
- European Design Award 2013 - bronze medal for the project "A to dobre!" in the category of food & beverage packaging.
- European Design Award 2013 - bronze medal for the design of a series of publications of legal provisions in 2012, "Application Radcowska and Advocate" for publishing house Od.Nowa in the book layout category.
- Śląska Rzecz 2012 - nomination in the category of graphic design for the design of the exhibition catalogue Horizon - 2 PrintArt MTG Krakow - Katowice 2012
- Śląska Rzecz 2012 - Award in the category of graphic design for the project "Regulations 2012", and "Application Radcowska and Advocates"
- Śląska Rzecz 2012 - Award for the design of Cieszyn Castle food brand "A to dobre!"
- Śląska Rzecz 2010 - nomination for the design of corporate identity for Alta Sp. z o.o.
- Śląska Rzecz 2011 - nomination for the design of the book "The History of Science". Client: PWN
- Polish Advertising Competition KTR - distinction in the field of design for posters for the triptych "Musica Inter Artes". Client: Academy of Music in Katowice.
- Śląska Rzecz 2009 - nomination for the design of visual identification of the festival ArsGrafia 2009