Andrzej Tobis has lived and worked in Katowice, where the Academy of Fine Arts runs a painting workshop, since he was 20 years old. In 1998, he received a scholarship from the Ministry of Culture and the Arts, and in 1999 he won the 34th National Painting Competition Bielska Autumn.
The artist has carried out his projects in numerous galleries and museums in Poland and abroad. His works could be seen in the Ormeau Baths Gallery in Belfast (Energy Class B), the Schauspiel Köln in Cologne (Fest mit Polen [Fest with Poles]), the Weltkulturerbe Zollverein in Essen (Erinnerung an Arbeit [Memory of Work]), the Polish Institute in Bratislava (Nové Miesto [New Place]), and the Kronika Centre for Contemporary Art in Bytom (Material Evidence, Museum of Unnatural History).
The first presentation of his most famous, linguistic and visual cycle, A-Z (Educational Cabinets), took place in the Kronika Gallery in Bytom in 2007. The photographs included in the display have also been shown in individual exhibitions in Rome, Berlin, Düsseldorf and Genshagen. Andrzej Tobis has been working on this project since 2006.
- 2002 – I’m Now Navigating the City, Kronika Gallery, Bytom; Czas Gallery, Będzin
- 2005 – Nové Miesto [New Place], Czas Gallery in Będzin and the Polish Institute in Bratislava
- 2007 – A-Z (Educational Cabinets), Kronika Centre for Contemporary Art, Bytom
- 2008 – A-Z (Schaukasten als Bildungseinrichtung), 1/9 Unosunove Arte Contemporanea, Rome; Polish Institute, Berlin
- 2009 – A-Z (Schaukasten als Bildungseinrichtung), Polish Institute, Düsseldorf, A-Z (Educational Cabinets), Centre for Contemporary Art Znaki Czasu, Toruń
- 2010 – A-Z (Educational Cabinets), at the Four Cultures Festival, Central Museum of Textiles, Łódź
- 2014 – Material Evidence, Kronika Centre for Contemporary Art, Bytom, A-Z (Bildungsvitrinen), Genshagen Palace, Genshagen.
- 2003 – 34th National Painting Competition Bielska Autumn (gold medal), BWA Gallery, Bielsko-Biała
- 2007 – The Reconnaissance of Painting, Sektor I Gallery, Katowice; Baltic Gallery, Słupsk – Ustka
- 2008 – Red Eye Effect. 21st-century Polish Photography, Centre for Contemporary Art Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw
- 2008 – Silesia activ 3, BWA Katowice
- 2008 – Museum of Unnatural History, CSW Kronika, Bytom
- 2009 – Silesian Collection of Contemporary Art, Znaki Czasu, BWA Bielsko-Biała
- 2009 – Energy Class B, Ormeau Baths Gallery, Belfast
- 2009 – 2nd Art Sector Biennale, Sektor I Gallery, Katowice
- 2009 – Tableau – Exiled Speech, Baltic Gallery, Słupsk
- 2009 – Show 4, Museum of Upper Silesia, Bytom
- 2011 – The Effect of Passage, Otwarta Pracownia, Kraków; Museum of Upper Silesia, Bytom; Baltic Gallery, Słupsk
- 2011 – Gifts Exchange, Contemporary Museum, Wrocław
- 2011 – Marginalia at the 7th Photography Biennale, Poznań
- 2012 – Fest mit Polen [Fest with Poles], Schauspiel Köln, Cologne
- 2012 – Erinnerung an Arbeit [Memory of Work], Weltkulturerbe Zollverein, Essen
- 2012 – A-Z (Educational Cabinets), at the exhibition Doubly Regained Territories. Bogdan Łopieński, Andrzej Tobis, Krzysztof Żwirblis, Zachęta National Gallery of Art, Warsaw
- 2013 – Everyday Micro Utopias, Znaki Czasu Centre for Contemporary Art, Toruń
- 2014 – Face of the Day. Social Costs in Poland after 1989, at the 6th ArtBoom Festival, former Światowid cinema, future PRL [PPR] Museum, Kraków.