The gallery was located in the former watch tower of Potocki Palace off Krakowskie Przedmieście along the Royal Route. Now it is located at the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.
Photo: Piotr Lubomirski
The gallery was established in 1956 as a part of the Zachęta, the National Gallery of Modern Art in Warsaw. It was taken over by the National Centre for Culture in January 2011. The gallery is located in the former watchtower of the Potocki Palace, currently the seat of the Ministry of Culture on Krakowskie Przedmieście, along the capital’s Royal Route.
Under Danuta Wróblewska’s supervision in the 1990s, the Kordegarda focused on presenting well-established works of art of mature artists working domestically or creating outside of Poland, known figures such as Józef Czapski or the Polish colourists Jan Cybis, Artur Nacht-Samborski and Zygmunt Waliszewski presented at the Memento exhibition.
The Kordegarda presented works by recipients of the Jan Cybis Prize, a very important award granted by the artistic community, including Barbara Jonscher, Stanisław Fijałkowski and Jerzy Panek.The gallery presented works by the winners of other important art awards in Poland and abroad.
The gallery was managed by Magda Kardasz from 2006 to 2010, who was a longtime curator at the Zachęta and who implemented the programme A Room with a View there, focusing on artists of the middle and young generations. Actions presented and carried out in the gallery referred to the Kordegarda itself and to the broader context of Warsaw, as with the exhibition by Agnieszka Brzeżańska, or the social space, as with the exhibition by Jadwiga Sawicka.
The Kordegarda Project began at 3 Gałczyńskiego St. in 2010, curated by Magda Kardasz and another subsidiary of the Zachęta.
Krakowskie Przedmieście 15/17
Tel: (+48 22) 620 02 31 ext.125
Fax: (+48 22) 620 02 31