Composer and pianist, born 25 February 1971 in Elbląg.
In 1997, together with Marcin Rupociński, he founded the group Morphai involved in artistic initiatives of an interdisciplinary nature. He also performs together with Agata Zubel as a duo (recitals for voice and computer). Duchnowski is a great advocate of improvised music. He collaborates with jazz musicians, as well as other artists enthusiastic about live music. With Paweł Hendrich and Sławomir Kupczak, they founded the group Phonos ek Mechanes. In this group, he is active in creating a very particular kind of improvised electronic music - human-electronics, where computers are controlled by acoustic instruments.
Duchnowski studied composition in the class of Leszek Wisłocki at the Academy of Music in Wrocław. He currently also teaches computer music at the Wrocław Academy. He has been involved with the Computer Composition Studio of the Academy from its very start.
He received grants from the Heinrich-Strobel-Stiftung des SWR e.V. in Freiburg, Foundation of the Friends of Warsaw Autumn, AUKSO Foundation of Music and the Ernst von Siemens Musikstiftung in Munich.
His Monad 3 for voice, piano and computer (2003) received First Prize at the 10th International Rostrum of Electroacoustic Music in Rome in May 2004. In that same year, he also received the Wrocław Musical Award for the 2003/2004 season. In 2005, jointly with Agata Zubel (as the ElettroVoce duo), he received the Special Award at the "Gaudeamus" International Contemporary Music Interpreters Competition in Amsterdam.
Cezary Duchnowski also writes music for film and theatre.
Author: Małgorzata Kosińska, Polish Music Information Center, Polish Composers' Union, October 2002; Updated: January 2009.
- Żuławy Impressions for chamber orchestra (1993)
- Poem of Hops for soprano, a choir of actors and large symphony orchestra (1996)
- Poems from the Rabble of Nobody's Thoughts for 3 sopranos, choir, harpsichord and piano (1996)
- Taps, a concert-performance for piano, soprano, with a performance by a quintet, dance theatre and actor (1997)
- Hypér tes morphés for tape (1998)
- Morphai, multimedia spectacle for soprano, saxophone, piano, marimbaphone and electronic media with dance, performance and video (1998)
- Mediants for string quartet, harpsichord and piano (1998)
- Games, audiovisual spectacle for soprano, saxophone, piano, marimbaphone and electronic media, with dancers and an actor (1998)
- Vernissage for photos, piano and tape (1999)
- Ludus for symphony orchestra (2000)
- Ovinu Malkeinu for tape (2000)
- monad 1 for accordion and 2 violins (2001)
- Sequences, audiovisual spectacle (2001)
- Beginning. Broadcast 1 for announcer and electronics (2001)
- Progress for soprano and electronics (2001)
- Wyczochraczone (wiry/bushy) for computer (2002)
- Dishevelled Grass for voice and computer (2002)
- Triads for string orchestra and electronics (2002)
- The Aim. Broadcast 2 for announcer and electronics (2002)
- monad 2 for voice, trumpet and computer (2003)
- Melody for Arvo Pärt for 4 male voices and tape (2003)
- monad 3 for voice, piano and computer (2003)
- monad 4 for Baron, Wojtasik and computer (2003)
- Reality on stretched braces from the window for clarinet, trombone, piano, cello and electronics (2004)
- Non-Highrisers for string orchestra and computer (2004)
- 10 1, 8 2, 6 3, 4 4 for string quartet (2005)
- The Gate for symphony orchestra and computer (2005)
- Beard for cello and computer (2005)
- Martha's Garden, a chamber opera for female voice, actor, electronic media and instruments, with libretto by Piotr Jasek (2006)
The composer's website: www.duchnowski.pl