We learn a little about Polish fashion in the inter-war period and choose a hat from the renowned Mieszkowski boutique. After that we go the neighbouring Wedel chocolate salon and talk marketing tactics.
With thanks to:
- Magdalena Stopa and Warsaw’s History Meeting House for the interview recording with Emil Mieszkowski, the grandson of the original shop owner and who lived at this address before and during World War II.
- Aleksandra Jatczak, a fashion historian and lecturer at the Fashion Department of the Warsaw Academy of Fine Arts.
- Elżbieta Jasińska, the great-granddaughter of Emil Wedel, the founder of one of Poland’s most loved chocolate brands.
- Adam Żuławski, editor and co-host of sister podcast Stories From The Eastern West, for providing the English-language voice of Emil Mieszkowski.
- Alicja Baczyńska, your audio guide, for help with acoustic mapping throughout the Unseen project.
How to listen:
Unseen is available as a downloadable podcast, although it is best experienced through the Echoes geolocative storytelling app available for iOS and Android. After loading the app, search for soundwalks in Warsaw and you’ll find Unseen.