At the turn of September and October 2016, JAZZ PO POLSKU returned to China with 25 concerts of Rafał Sarnecki, Grzegorz Karnas, Nikola Kołodziejczyk, Stanisław Słowiński and their bands.
The third JAZZ PO POLSKU in China lasted 45 days, from 7th September until 25th October 2016. The tour included concerts in Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Chengdu, Changzhou, Dalian, Dongguan, Jilin, Nanjing, Suzhou and Zhongshan. Polish musicians performed at the biggest jazz festivals in the north and south of China, as well as in theatres, cultural centres and clubs. They also conducted music workshops at universities. The project culminated with a final concert, The Polish Jazz Standards, headlined by both Polish and Chinese musicians and held at the Xinghai Concert Hall, the most prestigious concert hall in the south of China.
Polish jazz music is creative, energetic, and very unique compared to jazz scenes in many other countries. I have been to Poland several times and was very impressed by the rapid development of jazz music there, especially I'm surprisingly happy to see there are so many young jazz musicians in Poland, who play like sophisticated masters. I hope in the future there will be more Polish-Chinese musicians' exchange programs.
- Adam Huang - Vice-President and Secretary General of the Jazz Society of Chinese Musicians' Association
The tour began in September with concerts of Rafał Sarnecki Quintet – the multinational formation of Polish, American and Chinese musicians. They gave four performances in Beijing (7th - 11th September 2016) after whic they flew north, to Dalian, to appear in a series of concerts at the prestigious JZ Clubs in Hangzhou, Guangzhou and Shanghai (14th - 20th September 2016). Rafał Sarnecki, a New York based guitarist, conducted a series of individual workshops on polyrhythms in various music styles held at local music academies.
On 11th October 2016, during the Nine Gates Festival in Beijing, the Chaoyang Theatre hosted a multiple-award winning Grzegorz Karnas Formula, experimental trio Stryjo, led by a two-time Fryderyk Award winner Nikola Kołodziejczyk, and Stanisław Słowiński Quintet – the winner of Jazz Juniors 2015. The musicians also appeared in clubs, as well as conducted music workshops at universities. In September and October 2016 a total of twelve JAZZ PO POLSKU events were held in Beijing.
Grzegorz Karnas Quartet returned to the Nine Gates Festival with the performance in both Polis and Mandarin, prepared especially for the tour. The musicians then played at jazz festivals in Changchun, Chengdu, Nanjing, Suzhou, and at the Xinghai Concert Hall in Guangzhou (24th October 2016). Grzegorz Karnas conducted music workshops on vocal improvisation at music academies.
The 2016 tour was completed with the final concert by JAZZ PO POLSKU ENSEMBLE, introducing the music by the legends of Polish jazz such as Krzysztof Komeda, Bronisław Kaper, Zbigniew Namysłowski and Zbigniew Seifert. The Polish-Chineese septet featured Rafał Sarnecki (guitar), Adam Bałdych (violin), Annie Chen (vocals), Nathaniel Gao (saxophone), Katarzyna Pietrzko (piano), Zhang Ke (double bass) and Grzegorz Masłowski (drums). Rafał Sarnecki had arranged the music especially for this edition.
We will present very intricate rhythms and harmonies of modern jazz alongside the lyrical and soulful compositions inspired by Slavic tunes - said Sarnecki.
The concert took place on 25th October 2016 at the Xinghai Concert Hall.
The Chinese audience also had the opportunity to see the exhibition of behind-the-scenes photography by Maciej Głowiński documenting 2015 JAZZ PO POLSKU tour featuring Pink Freud and Jazzpospolita.
JAZZ PO POLSKU LIVE IN CHINA 2016 was organized by the Plateaux Foundation, co-financed by the Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland and supported by the Chinese Jazz Association, Culture.pl, Polish Institute – Culture Service of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Beijing and Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Guangzhou, Chengdu and Hong Kong. The project is supported by Culture.pl.
Rafał Sarnecki Quintet
- 7th September 2016, 10:00 am - Beijing Contemporary Music Academy, Beijing
- 8th September 2016, 9:30 pm - Jianghu, Beijing
- 9th September 2016, 10:00 am - Western Academy of Beijing
- 9th September 2016, 10:00 pm - East Shore
- 10th September 2016, 10:00 am - Western Academy of Beijing
- 15th September 2016, 7:70 pm - Wooden Box, Shanghai
- 16th September 2016, 9:00 pm - Blank Space, Changzhou
- 17th September 2016, 9:00 pm - Friends Bar, Zhongshan
- 19th September 2016, 10:00 pm - JZ Club, Guangzhou
- 20th September 2016, 11:00 am - Guangdong School of Arts, University of Foreign Studies, Guangzhou
- 20th September 2016, 9:00 pm - JZ Club, Guangzhou
- 22nd October 2016, 3:00 pm - Blooms Music Festival / feat. Annie Chan, JZ Club, Hangzhou
- 25th October 2016, 8:00 pm - Jazz Po Polsku Ensemble, Xinghai Concert Hall, Guangzhou
Grzegorz Karnas Formula
- 11th October 2016 - Nine Gates Festival, Chaoyang Theatre, Bejing
- 12th October 2016 - Jilin, University of Arts, Changchun
- 13th October 2016 - Jilin University of Arts, Changchun
- 14th October 2016 - Jiangsu International Jazz and World Music Festival, Suzhou
- 15th October 2016 - Jiangsu International Jazz and World Music Festival, Nanjing
- 16th October 2016 - Jiangsu International Jazz and World Music Festival, Nanjing
- 20th October 2016 - Music Academy, Chengdu
- 21st October 2016 - West Village, Chengdu
- 22nd October 2016 - West Village, Chengdu
- 24th October 2016 - Xinghai Concert Hall, Guangzhou
Stanisław Słowiński Quintet
- 11th October 2016 - Nine Gates Festival / Chaoyang Theatre, Beijing
- 12th October 2016 - Beijing Contemporary Music Academy, Beijing
- 13th October 2016 - Beijing Contemporary Music Academy, Beijing
- 14th October 2016 - East Shore, Beijing
- 15th October 2016 - tba, Beijing
Source: press release, translated by AW, Aug 2016
- 11th October 2016 - Nine Gates Festival, Beijing
- 13th October 2016 - tba, Beijing
- 14th October 2016 - Beijing Contemporary Music Academy, Beijing
- 15th October 2016 - tba, Beijing