From the first edition of the fair, the organizers want it to be a multi-layered event, addressed both to professionals and to the general public, which will promote books and other carriers of literature, knowledge and information. The first two days of the fair will be devoted to the book industry and education, with the Forum of New Technologies, events for professionals, meetings for school children. The next two days will be the Literature Festival aimed at the broad public...
The Warsaw Book Fair, which will be held for the first time in the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw on May 13-16, 2010, is an initiative of publishers and the exhibition company Murator EXPO. From the first edition of the fair, the organizers want it to be a multi-layered event, addressed both to professionals and to the general public, which will promote books and other carriers of literature, knowledge and information.
In comparison to the more traditional International Book Fair
also taking place in May in Warsaw, the organizers of the Warsaw Book Fair underline a change in the form of the Fair. They announce a significant shift of accent - from a book sale to a modern, multi-layered meeting of the book industry, promoting new technologies, taking up the discussion on the future of books in all their forms. The first two days of the fair will be devoted to the book industry and education, with the Forum of New Technologies, events for professionals, meetings for school children. The next two days will be the Literature Festival aimed at the broad public.
Forum of New Technologies and other events for professionals
Each year more and more new technologies related to books enter the digital world and they will be a frequent topic at the fair - a focal point this year and in the future, around which many interesting events will be organized. The program includes meetings and lectures devoted to the presentation of new carriers and readers, challenges to be faced by the book industry in the era of electronic distribution of books and press, or issues connected with the protection of intellectual property and copyright. Apart from that, there will also be meetings devoted to the advantages of e-books, in particular in the context of academic, school and hobby books, as well as to technologies helping in the management of projects of creating school textbooks. Another question to answer is the problem of who will gain, who will save and who will lose on e-books.
Awards and Commendations
- The first nominations will be announced already on Thursday, 13 May, during the WBF opening ceremony -12th Polish Book Publishers Association's Publishing-Bookselling Season Award: IKAR 2010, sponsored by Murator EXPO sp. z o.o. and the Polish Press Agency. The winner will be announced on the same day, during the Publisher's Evening in the Primate's Palace.
- The announcement of the outcome of the Audio Book of the Year competition for the best audio book 2009 will be announced right after the opening ceremony. The second edition of this competition is already underway, organized by the Web portal Nexto.pl in cooperation with Biblioteka Analiz.
- On Friday, 14 May, at noon, the Polish Book Publishers Association will announce the outcome of the jubilee 50th edition of the competition for the Most Beautiful Book of the Year.
- The Foundation for Polish Culture will give the honorary award "For the promotion of Polish Books in the World", which it has been awarding annualy since 1988.
- The Jerzy Kuryłowicz Award ceremony will be held on Saturday at 11 a.m. The award is given annually since 2003 to translators of science literature and is funded by the publisher Andrzej Kuryłowicz, the son of Professor Kuryłowicz, an eminent Polish linguist.
- One of the major events at the WBF will be the presentation of five books nominated for the Ryszard Kapuściński Award, which will be attended by the authors of these literary reportages. You will find further information on this award enclosed in a separate document.
- On Sunday, 16 May, the Warsaw Book Fair will end with a concert and the award ceremony concluding the competition "Edycja Chopin 2010", held in the Concert Hall (6th floor of PKiN). The Lebanese singer Nadine Nassar will perform at the concert with the Sekstet Włodzimierza Nahornego sextet: Włodzimierz Nahorny – piano, Henryk Gembalski – violin, Wojciecha Staroniewicza – tenor and soprano saxophone, Mariusz Bogdanowicz – contrabass, Piotr Biskupski – percussion, Dorota Miśkiewicz – violin, vocals. The partner of this event is the Embassy of Lebanon.
Meetings with authors
Traditional book fair events such as meetings with authors are naturally also programmed. The list of authors include: Tomas Venclova, Manuela Gretkowska
, Tomasz Stańko
, Magda Umer, Jarosław Marek Rymkiewicz
, Artur Domosławski, Hanna Krall
, Andrzej Kunert, Anna Onichimowska. Kazimierz Orłoś
, Ewa Lipska
, and Urszula Kozioł
The Online Book Fair
The Online Book Fair is a project complementing the Warsaw Book Fair. Using a modern Internet platform, companies connected with the publishing and bookselling industry will be able to present their offers, as they would on a traditional fair. The online continuation of the fair allows all those who did not attend the traditional fair or those who were not able to contact their favourite exhibitors to check the offers of the exhibitors. The online fair will last for 7 days.
WBF will also be participating in the Night of Museums on May 15, 2010
Detailed program is available at: www.targi-ksiazki.waw.pl