A multidisciplinary team formed by the designer Marta Niemywska and the architect Dawid Grynasz. They deal with small architecture, scenography and applied graphics.
Multidisciplinary team formed by the designer Marta Niemywska and the architect Dawid Grynasz. They deal with small architecture, scenography and applied graphics.
Marta Niemywska is a graduate of the Faculty of Industrial Design of the Warsaw Academy of Fine Arts. In 2007, she participated in the Erasmus scholarship programme at the Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava, where she studied under the designer and conceptualist Professor Františk Burian. Niemywska is also the laureate of many design competitions, and has received the scholarship of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage twice. She is a member of the Association of Industrial Form Designers.
Dawid Grynasz graduated from the Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning at the Białystok University of Technology. In his projects he combines architectural scale with design details.
The artists have under their belt collaborations with Polish and foreign firms and institutions, including MUJI, NAP, the National Audiovisual Institute, the Institute of Industrial Design, the group NO MUDA, the Polish Humanitarian Organization, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights and the Children’s University.
Niemywska and Grynasz have been collaborating with each other since 2008. At first they were freelancers, now they work under the joint brand Niemywska Grynasz Studio. They come from the Podlasie region, where they met at an artistic high school in Supraśl. In their design work, they give importance to aspects of ecology and sustainable development. In their sceneries they often make use of recycled materials. When they were working on the furnishings for a festival tent for the Polish Humanitarian Organization, they created special seats - 80% of each of these seats was made from recycled materials. To Niemywska and Grynasz, supporting small businesses and local artisans is important, therefore they collaborate with them on the studio’s projects.
Marta Niemywska and Dawid Grynasz share not only their professional life but also their private life. Joint work has become a way of life for them. Niemywska spoke of this in a conversation with Culture.pl:
We are a couple, which enables us, given the intense professional life and passion for creating, to jointly experience, share our experiences with each other and motivate ourselves for action. Design work gives us a lot of satisfaction. When we work we meet interesting people, contractors, experts, we look for solutions of constructional problems or for inspirations for new topics. We read, watch, listen to people, travel in search of new materials and technologies. It’s great to be doing all of this with a loved one who is your associate, partner and best friend. This doubles the happiness.
As a design duo they complement each other education-wise and they share their responsibilities. Dawid Grynasz, the architect and urban planner, deals with everything that is large-scale. Marta Niemywska, who graduated in Industrial Design, focuses on product design and small architecture.
Thanks to this, we can pursue such topics as sceneries, exhibitions or typically product projects. We like diverse subjects that activate various project problems and interact with the user – says the latter artist.
One such project was their joint work on the sets of the Kultura 2.0 festival which were prepared for the National Audiovisual Institute in the years 2011-2013. The furniture and the installations organized the space in which visual artists exhibited and workshops and lectures were held.
The artists also designed the Good Model / Dobry Wzór exhibition for the Institute of Industrial Design, the New Technologies: Discover Poland exhibition for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Polish Red Dots / Polskie Red Doty exhibition, which was commissioned by the Polish Patent Office.
Apart from large scenery projects, installations and furniture, Niemywska Grynasz Studio also creates things like SSSTOLIK, which is a piece of furniture and a toy for children aged 2 to 5 in one. A child may pull strings, bands and threads through holes drilled in the table top. When the child is done playing, SSSTOLIK may serve as a coffee table.
“We like people. For us, working with people and for people is an additional advantage of being a designer” – says Marta Niemywska. As a team they try to prepare fully for each project, which requires time and commitment. “When we were making a design of a product for Arab countries, we watched Arabic films, we ate Arabic food, we listened to their music, we attended lectures at the Traveler’s Club, to get at least a little bit in touch with the Muslim culture, to get a feel of their aesthetics and to understand certain cultural contexts”.
Apart from working for large institutions, the designers value collaborations with small, just-beginning brands. “There’s something very exciting about working with young companies. A high number of restrictions raises the bar and results in an interesting challenge” emphasizes Niemywska.
Niemywska Grynasz Studio has a fixed team of four persons which includes Małgorzata Ćwiek and Hanna Ferenc-Hilsden. The team also collaborates with freelance designers.
Author: Katarzyna Zacharska, July 2014
Translated by: Marek Kępa
Competitions and awards:
2013 – the Młoda Polska scholarship of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage (Marta Niemywska)
2012 – 1st place in the competition Global Festival Tent / Globalny Namiot Festiwalowy organized by the Polish Humanitarian Organization (Marta Niemywska and Dawid Grynasz)
2011 – the Warsaw Institute of Design’s nomination of the Modulor sofa for the award Dobry Wzór 2011 (Marta Niemywska and Dawid Grynasz)
- 1st place in the competition Young Design organized by the Institute of Industrial Design (Marta Niemywska)
2009 – the finale showing of the collection Rokokko, Re-act Fashion Show 2009 (Marta Niemywska)
2008 – the scholarship of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage (Marta Niemywska)
- 1st place in the Nokia Only Planet competition (Marta Niemywska)
- 1st place in the competition A New Offering in Warsaw’s Public Space for a Guest of the Euro 2012 / Nowa oferta dla gościa Euro 2012 w przestrzeni publicznej Warszawy (Marta Niemywska)
- 2nd place in the competition A Conceptual Design of a Modern Souvenir from Warsaw Linked to the Person of Frederic Chopin / Projekt koncepcyjny nowoczesnej pamiątki z Warszawy,związanej z osobą Fryderyka Chopina
- the competition Wall Unit / Meblościanka organized by the firm Vox in Poznań, the design of the x+x wall unit, distinction (Marta Niemywska)
- a distinction at a competition organized by the firm Vox for the design Ssstolik (Marta Niemywska)
2007 – 1st place in the competition Absolut Elements 2007 (Marta Niemywska)
- 2nd place in the scholarship competition of Polish Television Creative Valley – Design (Marta Niemywska)
Selected exhibitions and festivals:
- the Skrzyżowanie Kultur festival, Warsaw – group exhibition
- the Kordegarda Gallery, Warsaw – the Residency of the Forms and Shapes Foundation – group exhibition
- the Wroclove festival, Wrocław – group exhibition
- Domiday, Warsaw – group exhibition
- the Cieszyn Castle, Urban Gardening – group exhibition
- the Cieszyn Castle, Womanly Design – group exhibition
- the Museum of Contemporary Art in Kraków (MOCAK), Everything, for Ever – Today. Balanced Polish and British Design / Wszystko, na zawsze – dziś. Polski i brytyjski design zrównoważony – group exhibition
- Łódź Design Festival, PG13 – group exhibition
- Łódź Design Festival, Design for Children / Dizajn dla dzieci – group exhibition
- Łódź Design Festival, EXCHANGE 2012. the Polish way of design, the Georgian way of design / WYMIANA 2012. Dizajn po polsku, dizajn po gruzińsku – group exhibition
- Design: the Polish way/the Georgian way / Dizajn: Po polsku/po gruzińsku, the Centre for Contemporary Art, Warsaw – group exhibition
- Fishing / Wędkowanie, an artistic action organized by the Forms and Shapes Foundation, the installation Big Net / Siecisko, Moczydło Park, Warsaw – group exhibition
- RePlay, organizer: NO MUDA, the Urban Tissue / Tkanka miejska seats, Warszawa
- RePlatz, a recycling, winter playground organized by NO MUDA, the installations FLOE / KRA and Iceberg / Góra lodowa, Warsaw
- In Good Form / W dobrej formie – the Polish Patent Office, Warsaw
- Design in Poland – Transition to Modernity, the Polish Patent Office, Geneva, Switzerland – group exhibition
- Mushroom Picking / Grzybobranie, an artistic action organized by the Forms and Shapes Foundation, the installation Moss and Dew / Mech i Rosa, Warsaw
- Good Model / Dobry Wzór, a post-competition exhibition, the Institute of Industrial Design, Warsaw
- the installation NOSE / NOS – an object, a slide, a climbing wall and a hideout. This installation was created as a part of EUgeniusz, a playground honouring the Inauguration of the Polish Presidency in the EU council. Organizers: the Forms and Shapes Foundation, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, the National Audiovisual Institute, Warsaw
- Re.product 3 / Re.produkt 3, the Institute of Industrial Design in Warsaw – group exhibition
- International Design Festival Berlin, Home Sweet Home, Berlin – group exhibition
- Polish Design / Polski Design, an exhibition of the magazine ELLE DECORATION, the Centre for Contemporary Art, Warsaw – group exhibition
- Łódź Design Festival, Home, Sweet Home, Łódź – group exhibition
- Warsaw Design Week, the group exhibition Proecodesign / Proekodizajn; Warszawa
- Arena Design Poznań, the group exhibition Proecodesign / Proekodesign; Poznań
- Warsaw Under Construction / Warszawa w Budowie, the Museum of Modern Art In Warsaw
- the Anders Hotel, Łódź, the finale showing of the collection of dresses Rokoko, Re-act Fashion Show
- the 1500m2 do wynajęcia gallery, Warsaw, Aequor
- Łódź Design Festival 2009 – group exhibition
- BWA Gallery, Wrocław, USEFULL/USELESS – group exhibition
- The University of Warsaw Library, Warsaw, My World Is Eco / Mój świat jest eko – group exhibition
- Furniture Fair, Ostróda, the group exhibition PG13
- The Cieszyn Castle, the group exhibition PG13, Exactly / W rzeczy samej
- the RGB Gallery in Berlin, the installation FREUD
- the International Poznań Fair, the exhibition concluding the workshop Meblościanka 2008 – group exhbition
- the café-club Bambini di Praga in Warsaw – group exhibition
- International Design Festival Berlin – group exhibition
- Due Amici in Bratislava, the post-competition exhibition Absolut Elements