Design studio founded by Katarzyna Worpus-Wrońska and Jan Worpus-Budziejewski, two artists from Łódź who deal with visual communication and graphic design.
"The function is of utmost importance. The designer should do what he or she is supposed to", surmise the designers. They prioritize functionality over formal means, but nevertheless admit that Grafixpol was not created out of love for pure and simple forms. When they design logos, visual identifications, books, posters or interactive realizations, they are interested primarily in the harmony, minimalism and meticulousness of the created works. The design studio may be new but they already have earned the trust of such institutions as the Office of the City of Łódź, the Museum of the Warsaw Uprising, Boston Café or the Soundedit festival.
Katarzyna Worpus-Wrońska graduated from the Łódź Academy of Fine Arts, obtaining her diploma from the workshop of publishing graphics. Jan Worpus-Budziejewski is an art historian by education of Łódź University. He also studied photography at the European School of Photography in Warsaw. Before Grafixpol was founded, just after her studies, Worpus-Wrońska was an intern at Carré Noir, a Parisian agency specializing in designing visual identifications for large companies. She was also involved with a small, independent studio in Paris named Undo-Redo and later worked for two interactive agencies in Łódź. Worpus-Budziejewski has worked as a freelancer and dealt with graphic design and photography since 2006.
The pair began collaborating in 2009 and in a conversation with culture.pl Jan tells their story.
Before, we only knew each other very briefly, just enough to say "hi." Kasia was employed at an agency and she was thinking about working on her own accord. She found my portfolio and she liked it, so she wrote to me.
Our work is pure madness. We work together and apart. We rivalize with each other. We labour 24 hours a day and we do it everywhere. Our promise that we’ll work from 9:00 to 17:00 has long ago been broken.
The first big project that they made together was Voices From the Center. At first it was an internet site devoted to the social-artist campaign of Janeil Engelstad. The artist conducted a series of interviews with inhabitants of Central Europe on the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. She asked her interlocutors what their world was like before and after the changes from 1989 Voices From the Center later became part of an exhibition that presented Engelstad’s project in Žilina, Slovakia. The exposition was also shown in Chicago in 2011. Grafixpol additionally prepared a poster and a presentation for the exhibition in the USA, and also participated in a discussion panel. “We were engaged by the whole project right from the beginning. We were excited as much as the other invited artists,” says Worpus-Budziejewski.
This project was exceptional for them not only because it was their joint debut but also because they played a twofold role: designers and creators. As the artists put it themselves, they very much fancy such a power balance between them and the client. The duo labored under their favored work conditions also when they prepared the visual identification for the Łódź Sondedit Musical Producers’ Festival for the third time.
Nowadays they work on publishing projects more often than before – books, catalogues, reports and brochures. “Publishing projects are unique because they’re complex. Such commissions usually involve cooperating closely with the author, the printing office and the binding. We care about details during every phase and that results in very good effects. When you design a book or an album you can combine thoughts with matter in a remarkable way,” say the designers. Their philosophy is highly regarded not only by clients but also by the artistic community. The duo's folder for the Łódź Manhattan gallery was distinguished at the 1st Polish Catalogue and Album on Art Competition in 2011.
Author: Katarzyna Zacharska, September 2013
- Codes of Dialogue, group exhibition, City Art Gallery in Łodz
- Rebellion of Design, group exhibition, Castle of Reszl
- Overdesigned?, group exhibition, Rondo sztuki, Katowice
- Voices From the Center, group exhibition, threewalls, Chicago
- Overdesigned?, group exhibition, Łódź Design Festiwal 2011
- 15 Polish Poster Salon, Wialnów Poster Museum, Warsaw
- Wektor/Pixel/2011 – Grafixpol, solo exhibition, Owoce i Warzywa, Caffe, Lodz
- Posters of the Members of Association of Polish Graphic Designers, group exhibition, Infopunkt Nadodrze, Wrocław
- International Easy Jazz Festival - Jazz Poster Review, Municipal Cultural Center in Żory
- LIFE IN 3D. Art Terrarium, group exhibition, Art Gallery in Olsztyn
- Leave the Message, Interactive Poster Exhibit, Conference Tekst-Tworzywo-Twórca (Text-Material-Creator), City Culture House, Lodz
- The Last Floor (Lodz Design 2010), group exhibition of NOW, Tamizo Architects Group, Grafixpol, Sienkiewicza 75/77 Lodz
- YES! we can!, group exhibition, STGU vs. SARP, Gallery of Architecture SARP, Katowice, New Building of Sinfonia Varsovia, Warszawa, Arena Design Fair, Poznań
- Memory Kontrol 1989-2009, presentation of a website www.voicesfromthecenter.net, Stanica Cultural Node, Zilina, Slovakia
- I National Competition of Albums and Art Catalogues honorable mention in a Leaflet category, Warsaw 2011
- Faces of Design Awards 2010, Berlin