Dominik Karski studied composition in Perth and Brisbane under Brian Howard and Stephen Cronin. He received his PhD in 2012 from the University of Melbourne, where he was supervised by Brenton Broadstock and Michael Christoforidis; during his graduate studies, he was taught by Chaya Czernowin at Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien (Austria) in 2006-07.
Dominik Karski’s music has been performed in Europe, the USA, and Australia: highlights include substantial exposure for his work by ELISION at the 50th Warsaw Autumn Festival (September 2007), in concerts throughout Australia in 2007-2008, and at the 2006 Huddersfield Festival. Another significant presentation was the performance of inward by Ensemble SurPlus in July 2005, during the International Masterclass for young composers at Akademie Schloss Solitude in Stuttgart. The composer also participated in the ISCM World New Music Days Trans-it 2004 in Switzerland, Gaudeamus Music Week in Amsterdam in 2002 (in which he received an honorable mention) and 2003, in the International Andrzej Panufnik Composers' Competition in Kraków (1st Prize), the Le Nouvel Ensemble Moderne's FORUM 2000 (Australia/Canada), and the Rencontres de musique nouvelle (Canada).
Dominik Karski received a number of distinctions in Australia: the 2003 Albert H. Maggs Composition Award (University of Melbourne) and 1998 ABC Young Composers’ Award, as well as having his compositions performed by some of the major Australian musicians: the violinist Elizabeth Sellars, the percussionists Peter Neville and Claire Edwardes, the cellist Geoffrey Gartner, the flautist Kathleen Gallagher, as well as the ELISION, Libra, and Offspring ensembles.
In his music, Karski focuses on exploring new sound structures and musical experiences, by means of investigating the physical aspects of making sound. Compositionally, he concentrates on the quality of the sound itself, focusing on the relationship between the player and the instrument as the primary source of the musical substance.
His significant works include pre-seed for flute soloist and ensemble, commissioned by Richard Craig and supported by a creative grant from the Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage (2009), the solo piece Superb Imposition for Paetzold recorder, commissioned by Anna Petrini and supported by the Swedish Kulturkontakt Nord grant. The first performance (by Anna Petrini) of the latter took place at the Wrocław's Musica Electronica Nova festival in 2011; in September 2012, it appeared on an album released by dB Productions from Sweden. The record received the Nutida Sound Award for Best Contemporary Music CD of 2012. In 2013, Dominik Karski was a grantee of the Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, during which time he composed Certainty’s Flux for solo violin, written especially for the Swedish violinist Karin Hellqvist.
- Les éruptions du rêve (1999/2000, for 15 musicians)
- Beginnings To No End (1999, for marimba and two bongos)
- Matter of Perspective (2000, for piccolo offstage/amplified bass flute, bass clarinet, piano, violin and cello)
- Threads of Fate (2001, for violin, cello, and piano)
- Streams of Consciousness (2000, for viola and cello)
- Glimmer (2002, for alto flute and bass flute)
- Inner Stream II (2002, for vibraphone and piano)
- Streams Within (2003, for 14 musicians)
- Streamforms (2003, for amplified bass flute)
- Open Cluster M45 (2003, for amplified bass flute)
- motion+form (2003, for percussion, harp, and double bass)
- Streamforms II (2004, for amplified cello)
- Inward (2004, for piccolo flute, bass clarinet, and piano)
- The Impulse Within (2004, for percussion and string quartet)
- (e)motion of forms (for violin, 2005)
- To Remain in Change (2005, for piccolo flute/flute/alto flute/bass flute and cello)
- OverFlow (2006, for oboe, trumpet/piccolo trumpet, trombone and percussion)
- RiverBed (2006, for flute, guitar, harp and violin)
- The Source Within (2006, for piano and three instrumental groups)
- The Outward Impulse (2007, for contrabass clarinet with tamtam)
- entangled (2007, for trombone and cello)
- Gates of the Irrational (2007, for bass-baritone and piano)
- fragile (2008, for two clarinets)
- Oscillations of Presence (2008, for bass clarinet and contrabass clarinet)
- pre-seed (2009, for flute soloist and ensemble)
- 112 Iphigenia (2009, for amplified flute)
- Superb Imposition (2010, for amplified Paetzold contrabass recorder)
- In Search of Certainty (2010, for string quartet)
- Certainty’s Extent (2011/2013, for cello)
- Veiled Voice (2012, for piccolo flute/flute/alto flute and flute/alto flute/bass flute)
- Certainty’s Flux (2013, for violin)
- Veiled Words (2013, for two alto flutes and two tamtams) – music for the interdisciplinary piece Between Them and the Eternity There Was Nothing More Than a Minute and Half (Między nimi a wiecznością nie było więcej niż minuta i pół)
Author: Małgorzata Kosińska, Polish Music Information Centre, Polish Composers' Union, January 2005, updates: October 2008, December 2013. Transl. AM, March 2015.