Historian, director of the Museum of the History of Polish Jews. Born December 11, 1963 in Warsaw.
Historian, director of the Museum of the History of Polish Jews.
Dariusz Stola is a professor at the Institute of Political Studies and the Polish Academy of Sciences, and fellow at the Centre for Migration Research, Warsaw University. Recipient of the Fulbright scholarship (New School for Social Research, New York) and of the Stefan Batory Foundation’s scholarship.
His main areas of focus are: history of the People’s Republic of Poland, international migrations in the 20th c., social memory, and Polish-Jewish relations.
He is author and editor of more than 100 articles and 9 books, including Patterns of Migration in Central Europe (co-edited with Claire Wallace), published in English by Palgrave Macmillan (2001). In 2011, he received Best Historical Book of 2010 Award from Polityka weekly for Kraj bez wyjścia? Migracje z Polski 1949-1989 (A Country with No Exit? Migrations from Poland, 1949-1989).
In 2013, he was awarded the Polonia Restituta Order of Military Cross for his input into the research, documentation and commemoration of the legacy of the March 1968 political crisis.
- Kraj bez wyjścia? Migracje z Polski 1949-1989, IPN, Warszawa 2010; Best Historical Book of 2010 Award of Polityka (author)
- Historia. Textbook for high-school grade II (with J. Czubaty) and III, Warszawa 2009; (author)
- Od Piłsudskiego do Wałęsy. Studia z dziejów Polski w XX wieku, Warszawa 2008 (editor)
- Złote lata PZPR: finanse partii w dekadzie Gierka, Warszawa 2008; (author)
- PRL. Trwanie i zmiana, Warszawa 2003 (editor)
- Patterns of Migration in Central Europe, New York 2001 (editor)
- Kampania antysyjonistyczna w Polsce 1967-1968, Warszawa 2000; (author)
- Nadzieja i zagłada. Ignacy Schwarzbart - żydowski przedstawiciel w Radzie Narodowej RP, 1940-1945, Warszawa 1995; (author)
- 2013 Knight's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta awarded by the President of Poland;
- 2011 Polityka [weekly magazine] History Book of the Year award for Kraj bez wyjścia?;
- 2011 Kraj bez wyjścia? shortlisted/nominated to three other major book awards: Moczarski Award, Giedroyć Award and Halecki Award;
- 2001 Minister of Culture award for the distinguished service to Polish culture;
- 1996 Polityka award for the book Nadzieja i Zaglada;
- 1996 Jan Górski Award of the Society of History Lovers, for Nadzieja i Zaglada;
- 1996 Raczynski Award of the Polish Cultural Foundation in London, for Nadzieja i Zagłada;
- 1995 Fulbright scholarship at the New School for Social Research, New York;
- 1995 Dzieje Najnowsze Award for the 1994 best dissertation in contemporary history;
- 1993 Foundation for Polish Science, scholarship for outstanding young scholars;
- 1988 Znaniecki Award for studies on emigration.
Sources: PAP, Collegium Civitas, prezydent.pl, Ed. AM, Jan 2014