Found in Translation Award for Piotr Florczyk
#language & literature
small, Found in Translation Award for Piotr Florczyk, Piotr Florczyk, photo: Lost Horse Press promo materials, piotrflorczyk.jpg
The Found in Translation Award for 2016 goes to Piotr Florczyk for his translation of Anna Świrszczyńska’s volume of poetry Building the Barricade (Budowałam barykadę), published by Tavern Books.
found in translation award
polish book institute
polish literature in translation
On 8th March 2017, The Polish Book Institute, the Polish Cultural Institute London, the Polish Cultural Institute New York and the Polish Institute New Delhi announced the winner of this year's Found in Translation Award.
Piotr Florczyk is a poet and translator of contemporary Polish literature into English. Apart from Świrszczyńska, his translations include selections of the poetry of Wojciech Bonowicz, Julian Kornhauser, Jacek Gutorow, Jarosław Mikołajewski, Paweł Marcinkiewicz and Dariusz Sośnicki.
The Found in Translation Award is granted every year to the best translation of Polish literature into English published in book form in the previous year. This year’s jury was composed of Bill Johnston (2008 and 2016 Found in Translation laureate) as well as director of the PCI London, Robert Szaniawski, director of PCI New York, Anna Domańska, director of PI New Delhi, Roland Chojnacki and director of the Polish Book Institute, Dariusz Jaworski. The winner receives a cash prize of 16 thousand złoty, a diploma and a three-month residency in Kraków, funded by the Polish Book Institute.
The award ceremony will take place 13 March 2017 at the British Library during the London Book Fair, at which Poland will be the Market Focus Country.
Previous winners of the prize have been:
- Bill Johnston, for his translation of the poems of Tadeusz Różewicz (2008)
- Antonia Lloyd-Jones, for her translation of Last Supper by Paweł Huelle (2009)
- Danuta Borchardt, for her translation of Pornografia by Witold Gombrowicz (2010)
- Clare Cavanagh and Stanisław Barańczak for their translation of Here by Wisława Szymborska (2011)
- Joanna Trzeciak, for her translation of the poems of Tadeusz Rózewicz (2012)
- Antonia Lloyd-Jones for the whole of her translation output in the year preceding the award (2013)
- Philip Boehm, for his translation of Chasing the King of Hearts by Hanna Krall (2014)
- Ursula Philips, for her translation of the novel Choucas by Zofia Nałkowska (2015)
- Bill Johnston, for his translation of Twelve Stations by Tomasz Różycki (2016)
Sources: www.bookinstitute.pl; compiled by NR, 10 Mar 2017