Previously housed in the Town Hall and Cloth Hall (Sukiennice), the Museum of the City of Wroclaw moved in 1999 to the SpŠtgen Palace, a beautiful late Baroque building with classical details, which was made into a royal residence by Frederick the Great in 1719, after having purchased it from Baron Heinrich Gottfried SpŠtgen.
The museum's holdings, which tell the town's history from the Middle Ages to the present, are divided into several sections. The Historical Section contains archival documents related to the town's history, including a collection of nineteenth and twentieth century posters and handbills, negatives documenting major events of the twentieth century, banners of Polish social and political organisations from 1945-1990, examples of material culture and crafts, such as sign-boards of Wroclaw companies from the sixteenth through the twentieth centuries, and Wroclaw cartography of the same period; the Iconographic Section has nineteenth and twentieth century paintings of Wroclaw, sixteenth through twentieth century drawings and prints of Wroclaw, including a collection of lithographic plates, a collection of sixteenth through twentieth century postcards with views of various towns, archival negatives and photographs documenting the town's history, as well as porcelain and glass with views of Wroclaw; the Theatre Section contains archival records of Wroclaw theatres, a collection of theatre posters and set designs and a collection of costumes used in plays performed in the city's theatres since 1945; the Documentary Photography Section shows Wroclaw's urban growth through photographs.
Permanent exhibition: Mediaeval Wroclaw.
Following a comprehensive renovation, now underway, SpŠtgen Palace will re-open as the home of the Historical Museum with an exhibition titled Wroclaw's Millennium.
Muzeum Historyczne - Pałac Królewski
Oddział Muzeum Miejskiego Wrocławia
ul. Kazimierza Wielkiego 35
Phone: (+48 71) 391 69 40, 391 69 41
Email: [email protected]