Focus on Poland at the London Book Fair
The London Book Fair (14th – 16th March 2017) is one of the biggest literary and publishing events of the year. A meeting place for writers and publishers from around the world, each year LBF promotes cultural diversity through its Market Focus – an initiative presenting the publishing industry of a country or region. This year’s Market Focus is Poland.
Jacks Thomas, Director of The London Book Fair spoke about this edition of Market Focus:
In the U.K., Polish is the most widely spoken language second only to English. Our countries share a unique bond and an interwoven history, yet despite this, our collective knowledge and understanding of Poland, not to mention its culture, literary scene and writers, remains surprisingly limited. Through this 11th LBF Market Focus programme, we aim to build long-lasting and meaningful relationships and introduce a variety of audiences to a broad cross-section of Polish literature.
The Market Focus programme will consist of numerous seminars and discussions during the week of the London Book Fair. They will take place in London and around the UK, enabling a wider British audience to get acquainted with Polish literature and its most prominent contemporary authors at venues such as the British Library, the Southbank Centre’s Poetry Library and Waterstone’s Gower Street.
Writers participating in the event include
- Olga Tokarczuk, critically acclaimed award-winning novelist
- Zygmunt Miłoszewski, popular crime novelist, whose books have sold more than a million copies
- Jacek Dehnel, novelist, poet and translator of the younger generation
- Aleksandra Mizielińska and Daniel Mizieliński, graphic designer and illustrator husband-and-wife duo, their children’s books have achieved worldwide fame
- Artur Domosławski, journalist and author of reportage
- Jacek Dukaj, a major name in European science fiction, regarded as the heir to Stanisław Lem
- Marta Ignerska, award-winning illustrator and graphic designer
- Dariusz Karłowicz, philosopher and essayist
- Marzanna Kielar, award-winning poet
- Andrzej Nowak, historian and essayist
- Ewa Winnicka, journalist and author of reportage
Find out more about Market Focus Poland at the London Book Fair: http://www.bookinstitute.pl/
Source: promotional materials; literature.britishcouncil.org; compiled by Weronika Fay, 9 Mar 2017